The need for responsible and sustainable action in business is rising along with a growing demand for practical models. As the discussion in the media escalates, the voluntary nature of these business activities is increasingly the subject of debates. Companies need to lead the way in this field, implementing CSR as a tool of strategic management and communicating the corporate benefits that can result from this approach.
respACT - austrian business council for sustainable development is Austria‘s leading platform for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Sustainable Development. The association emerged in October 2007 from the fusion of the Austrian Business Council for Sustainable Development (ABCSD) and respACT austria.
respACT stands for "responsible action“ and supports its member companies on their way to implementing socially responsible actions into their daily business. Responsible companies focus on five fields of action: organisational leadership, market place, workforce, environment and society. respACT - austrian business council for sustainable development responds to businesses of all sizes based in Austria, from small companies to major corporations.
The council’s most important activities are thought leadership on CSR and sustainability, exchange of best practices, knowledge transfer and education as well as the establishment and administration of a national CSR network.
Vision for Sustainable Business and respACT's mission
Vision for Sustainable Business
The solution of environmental, social and economic challenges lies at the centre of business activities in Austria.
Enterpreneurial activity is driving societal innovation and sustainable development.
Therewith, Austrian companies are nationally and internationally successful.
respACT mobilizes important players in order to make Austria a pioneer of future-proof and responsible business.
Services of respACT - austrian business council for sustainable development
respACT - austrian business council for sustainable development offers its member companies the following:
- innovative concepts and projects concerning CSR and sustainability
- a platform to discuss ideas and experiences
- a dialogue with politics, people and media
- promotion of companies' successful sustainability/CSR projects
CSR in Austria
In 2009 respACT together with the Research Institute for Managing Sustainability of the Vienna Business University induced the compilation of CSR-guidelines "Success and Social Responsibiliy - A Guide to Future-Proofing Your Business" which has been intended for use by any Austrian company, large or small, and list objectives for responsible business activity.
respACT has been the official Focal Point of the UN Global Compact in Austria and has been organizing the TRIGOS Award, a renowned business award honoring Austrian Companies for exemplary Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives and the implementation of CSR in their management.
In order to meet the needs of SME´s on regional level respACT started in Autumn 2010 the initiative "respACT goes regional" which includes networking activites, workshops and regional TRIGOS Awards.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors of the platform is composed as follows:
- President: Ursula Simacek (SIMACEK Facility Management Group GmbH)
- Vice President: Heinz Felsner (EFH Beteiligungs GmbH)
- Vice President: Herta Stockbauer (BKS Bank AG)
- Vice President: Peter Giffinger (Saint-Gobain Rigips Austria GesmbH)
- Günther Rabensteiner (Verbund AG)
- Herbert Schlossnikl (Vöslauer Mineralwasser AG)
- Hugo Rohner (SKIDATA AG)
- Co-opted member: Barbara Coudenhove-Kalergi (Federation of Austrian Industries)
- Co-opted member: Wolfram Tertschnig (The Austrian Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management)
- Co-opted member: Manfred Schekulin (The Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy)
- Co-opted member: Robert Koza (Austrian Economic Chambers)
- Co-opted member: Gerald Fitz (Haberkorn GmbH)
Daniela Knieling is acting as Managing Director.
- CSR Europe: European platform for CSR
- UN Global Compact: International initiative for businesses and civil society
- WBCSD World Business Council for Sustainable Development: Finding economic solutions to environmental challenges
You find further information on our affiliates here.
Structure of the platform
respACT - austrian business council for sustainable development is a platform led by businesses and is financed through the contributions of its member companies and The Austrian Federal Economic Chamber, The Federation of Austrian Industries, The Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy, The Federal Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Consumer Protection and The Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water management.
You find a list of our current member companies here.
News and events
We provide information related to CSR & business ethics in German only on our website, with a newsletter and an exclusive information for our members. We also organise events with member companies on pending issues up to four times a year.
Please find our contact information here.